Wednesday, July 13

Boppy Pillow

Like I mentioned a while ago, my dad bought me a sewing machine. Now...and my grandma can vouch for me on this...I have never, ever, ever sewed something on my own before. Ever. I remember my grandma coming to Colorado or we would go to Nebraska and she would make me a prom dress or we'd make pajama pants "together," or some other little project that I had every intention of helping her with. Haha. Under her careful direction, I would cut out the pattern, pin it it together, sew a few straight lines here and there and mess up even THOSE simple steps! Haha. I am just not GOOD at sewing. I remember her picking out a stitch or two of mine. She was always verrrry patient and understanding haha. 

Anyway, being almost 8 months pregnant, I have been feeling this "nesting" urge. I don't even know if it is really "nesting" - I will call it "I have way too much time on my hands." I have been getting everything we need for the baby and trying to save as much money as possible (because holy cow, babies are expensive! haha). I decided it would be fun to try my hand, once and for all, at sewing. 

So, I made this Boppy cover. Bryson's aunt gave us a Boppy with a cute cover for my baby shower, so I made another one for when that one is in the wash. I went to Joann Fabrics and bought some very, very cheap fabric (already cheap, plus 50% off...I like!), thread and some velcro (actually I bought a zipper and velcro as a backup...good thing, because I ended up using the velcro haha - don't get me started on that). 

It actually wasn't hard at all! I am proud of myself! The hardest part for me was figuring out my sewing machine and how to change the foot to a zipper foot (took me about an hour because I didn't even think to look in the manuel). Of course, it was not without incident: I sewed on the zipper, and finished the pillow, went to go put it on the pillow and *pop,* the zipper broke. Instead of trying to fix the zipper, I ripped it off and sewed on velcro and it works perfectly haha. Bryson said, "I am so proud of you for improvising!" haha

So here is my pillow. It matches the nursery. I wanted to do a black and white damask cover...but I couldn't find any fabric in that color. Don't look too closely, it's not perfect by any means. BUT it fits, it stays on, it's soft and I did it all by myself! Mommy wow! I'm a big kid now! haaaa



------------------------------------------------------ 
With love,


Photobucket

1 comment:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

I had exactly the same experience with sewing. Even this Christmas when I THOUGHT I had sewed my own apron, I went back and looked at it more closely just this week and realized my mom must have picked out a lot of stitches when I wasn't looking and re-did it. Every other time, I'd be all excited up until the first crooked line and then give up! I need to get a boppy so I can make a boppy cover! Good to know about the zipper. Maybe I'll just go straight for the velcro.

Blog Archive

Labels

apartment (2) Ava (30) baby (29) baby #2 (1) birth (1) birthdays (1) blog (1) Bryson (4) California (2) cooking (2) family (2) furniture (2) Grandma Lisa (1) holidays (3) iPhone (1) Jayson (2) Kaitlyn (3) marriage (1) Mom (4) months (2) pregnancy (23) recipes (2) San Francisco (3) sewing (8) sisters (1) sports (1) Temple (1) Utah (2) vacation (2) video (13)